A supposedly fun adventure turned tragic after a pair of tourists were washed away by a massive wave while taking selfies.

Cousins Amanda Maria Roque, 19, and Leonardo Santos, 25, clambered onto wet rocks for selfies at coastal town Farol de Santa Marta in Brazil, when they were suddenly struck by a powerful wave and washed out to sea.

Amanda and Leonardo were swept away by a ferocious wave while taking selfies.

Their cousin Jeferson da Conceicao, 19, had refused to join them and witness the harrowing scene as a giant wave smashed into them.

Jeferson was also taking pictures that time and were able to record them being battered by the water after he had called for help.

Lifeguards arrived on a jet ski and dragged Amanda from the sea but Leonardo had already been swept away.

According to Amanda, she tried to hold on to her cousin – who was already unconscious – by his hair but the raging waters dragged him out of her grasp.

She said: “We met at the shore near the lighthouse to take some pictures.

”Myself and Leonardo went onto the rocks and were surprised by the force of a wave which took us into the sea.

‘Me and my cousin were sucked into the water and tried to swim, but I realized he was disorientated and drowning.

‘I tried to make him react, to keep him awake. But the waves were hitting us a lot and I realized that he was unconscious because he had swallowed so much water.

‘I still thought that he could be saved so I held onto his hair for some time. But another wave came and at that point, I could no longer see him and could not save his life.

‘A jet ski arrived and led me to the beach.”

Tragically, Leonardo’s body was found floating in the Laguna district, state of Santa Catarina four days after the horrifying incident.

Watch this video:

The rescuer who pulled Amanda from the water said she was coughing up water and vomiting. She was taken to hospital along with Jeferson who told investigators that he asked the other two to come away from the water’s edge but they insisted on taking pictures.

On the other hand, the Laguna Fire Brigade spokesman has warned others not to take risky pictures next to the sea.

Stating, “The teenage girl was rescued but we found the older man four days later. He had drowned in the sea after being hit by waves.

“Nobody should go close to the sea to take pictures from rocks. The sea on that day was very strong and nobody can predict how it will behave.”

Via: The Sun